I love this dress. The only challenging part was to sew the sleeves and make them puffy on each side. My daughter was so pleased to see the dress when it was done, that it was worth the time ! What’s the difference between a princess dress and a fairy dress? A fairy hat and a magic wand! You can find them in the accessory section. Of course there are also fairy wings… it will be for next time!
Material for the top:
– 4 rectangles of fabric: 3 ½” x 1 ¾ ” (4.5cm x 9cm)
– Tulle for the sleeves: 2 rectangles 6” x 1 ½” ( 4cm x 15cm)
– Tulle to recover the top of the dress. 4 rectangles: 3 ½” x 1 ¾ ” (4.5cm x 9cm)
– 2 Ribbons for the sleeves 2 ¾” (7cm)
Material for the bottom of the dress
– Lining of the the dress 6 ½” x 18 ½” (16cm x 47cm )
– Front fabric 14” x 8” (37cm x 20cm )
– Tulle 3 triangles : 9 ½” x 9 ½” x 5” (24cm x 24cm x 13cm )
– Take the rectangles and draw a mark on the top at 1” (2.5cm) from each side. Then draw a mark on the side at 2” (5cm) from the bottom on ech side
– Trace a line on each side from one point to another. Then sew the fabric folowing the lines.
– Sew the tulle fabric on each piece of top fabric. Sew the hem on the back of the dress at the same time. For the front fabric just sew the V neck.
– Sew the two front fabrics together in the middle. Try it on the doll, so the V neck will fit perfectly to your doll.
– Sew the front and back fabric together on the shoulders
Step 3: Sew the sleeves to the dress – note: I did not have enough tulle to make 6”, so I sewed two little pieces together to get the right length.
– Pick the top fabric face up. Pin the sleeves on it up to 1 ” (2cm) let the rest of the sleeve on the top. We will gather it to make a puffy sleeve.
– Sew the sleeves on the side folowing the pins. Then sew the rest by gathering to the top.
– Put the top on the doll reverse. Then pin on the side and sew the sides of the dress.
– Take the ribbon and sew it at the end of each sleeves by gathering the sleeves.
– Return the top and draw a line on the bottom at ¾” (2cm)from each side, then joining in a triangle on the front. (see picture)
– We will sew the top and the bottom fabric together folowing this line
– Sew a hem on the bottom of the front fabric
– Sew a hem on the bottom of the lining.
– Then sew the two fabric together. Gather the lining to fit to the front fabric.
– Sew a hem on the side of each triangles
– Put the triangles on top of the frabric regularly, then sew them to the fabric.
Step 7: Sew the top and the bottom fabric together
– Start by sewing the middle of the top fabric to the middle of the bottom fabric with a little sewing point. So you are sure that the fabrics are well aligned.
– Then sew each side folowing the line and gathering the fabric
Your fairy can wear her dress! Don’t forget to make her a fairy hat and a magic wand! You’ll find them on the accessory section.