I had this wonderful fabric for a long time. It is strechy but we can see throught it. So it took me a little time to sew something with it. This dress is easy to sew. The only challenging part is the lining that has to be very well positioned. I love sleeveless dress with a nod on neck. And Barbie can definitely afford to wear them! I sewed a chawl to go with it.
I hope you’ll like it! Happy sewing!
– Bottom: 6 ¾” x 7 ½” ( 17cm x 19cm ) + same for lining
– Top: 4 ½” x 2 ½” (11cm x 6 cm ) + same for lining
– Sleeves: 2 bands of ¾” x 4 ¾” (2cm x 12cm )
– Pin the top lining and fabric together. Draw a line in the middle of the lining down to 1” ( 2.5cm)
– Then cut the fabrics folowing this line.
– Draw a mark on each side of the cut at ¾” (2cm)
– Fold the fabrics from this mark to the corner bottom and sew. Leave a little space on the bottom. Cut the extra fabric on the side.
– Draw a mark on each side of the bottom at 1 ½” (4cm) and draw a line from these points upt to 1” (2.5cm)
– Sew the breast gathers folowing these lines
– Sew a hem on the two bottom fabric separately. Then pin them together, so they will be well aligned when we’ll sew them. Make sure that the front frabric is a little longer than the lining, so the lining won’t show.
– Put the top fabric on the bottom fabric face to face right in the middle. Pin them. Then sew the 2 fabrics together between the two breast gathers.
– Draw a mark on the fabric on each side of the top at ¾” ‘2cm. And on each side of the bottom at 5” (13cm). Then pleat the fabric folowing these marks and pin. Cut folowing the pins.
– Finish sewing the top and the bottom fabric together. Then sew a hem on the side and on the back on 1” (2.5cm). So the doll can fit into the dress.
– Sew the dress on the back. And sew a slit a 2” from the bottom.
– Sew the sleeves to the top. My fabric did not need to be sewed on the side for the sleeves. Depending on the fabric you’re using you might want to sew the sides before attaching the sleeves to the dress.
– Sew a sew on snap on the back.
Your Gala Dress is ready!